10 Steps to Empowering Classroom Management
Build a Productive, Cooperative Culture Without Using Rewards
What Will I Lear?
Traditional classroom management approaches tend to focus on getting students to comply with rules through the use of extrinsic rewards and punishments. These coercive approaches produce, at best, short-term obedience and have the potential to thwart the development of many positive student behaviors and dispositions that educators promote in their classrooms. This course presents an alternative classroom management approach rooted in intrinsic motivation and designed to create a learning environment in which children work hard, work together, and work with purpose.
National Board Certified Teacher and best-selling author Steve Reifman created this course for both new and experienced elementary school teachers to make their lives easier and better. Reifman presents a series of classroom-tested ideas, strategies, activities, and resources that will help teachers:
• establish a strong sense of purpose in their classrooms so that children find meaning in their work, experience joy, invest their hearts and minds in the class mission, and understand the many reasons why pursuing an education matters so much for their futures
• implement practices that satisfy children’s most important needs
• develop long-term habits of mind and habits of character
• build collaborative, trusting relationships with students and parents
• seek opportunities to engage, inspire, and bring out the best in students using symbols, rituals, visuals, and other techniques that resonate with children
• establish the routines, procedures, and expectations necessary to create a classroom environment in which students consistently behave well and produce quality work
• create a positive, team-oriented culture while also recognizing the uniqueness and special qualities of the individuals who comprise it
• incorporate meaningful goal setting, reflection, and self-evaluation into their classroom practice to enable children to improve their work and behavior
• understand the problems associated with the use of extrinsic motivation
• discover how to nurture the intrinsic motivation to learn and grow that all children possess
This effective classroom management course is divided into four sections and contains a total of 20 video presentations. It will take approximately 5 hours to complete the course.
“Steve Reifman has captured the essence of accomplished teaching and how these important elements contribute to student learning. His sense of classroom structure, mutual respect and knowing your students enhance the learning environment. Steve's course, his books and his presentations are very practical and easily implemented for both novice and experienced educators. I highly recommend his course for educators at all teaching levels.”
- Clara C.
“This course went well beyond my expectations! Fantastic insights into creative ways to motivate my students intrinsically. I never realized how simplistic and inadequate simply offering rewards was. There is really a lot of brilliant, insightful information in this course that I'm already using.”
- Marc F.
“The information was delivered in an organized, applicable manor. Great ideas for running a super classroom.”
- Patrice M.
“I had the privilege of hearing Steve speak in person on this topic at a local conference and left wanting more! This class delivers! Very comprehensive and full of great methods and ideas. I encourage educators, facilitators, and administrators to take this course!”
- Sandra C.
Steve Reifman is a National Board Certified elementary school teacher, best-selling author, and speaker in Santa Monica, CA. He has written several resource books for educators and parents, including Rock It!, Changing Kids’ Lives One Quote at a Time, and Eight Essentials for Empowered Teaching and Learning, K-8. In addition, Steve has created a series of shorter, e-book resources for educators, including 10 Steps to Empowering Classroom Management, The First 10 Minutes: A Classroom Morning Routine that Reaches and Teaches the Whole Child, The First Month of School: Start Your School Year with 4 Priorities in Mind, 2-Minute Biographies for Kids: Inspirational Success Stories About 19 Famous People and the Importance of Education, Math Problem Solving Menus, Build a Partnership with Parents, 22 Habits That Empower Students, and . He is also the creator of the award-winning Chase Manning Mystery Series for children 8-12 years of age.
For Teaching Tips, articles, and other valuable resources and strategies on teaching the whole child, visit and subscribe at www.stevereifman.com. Follow Steve on Twitter (@stevereifman), “Like” his “Teaching the Whole Child” Facebook page, subscribe to his “Teaching Kids” YouTube channel, and visit his TeachersPayTeachers page.